This year is Carnival Year in Saffron Walden! And Walden Velo are running the Carnival Sportive on Sunday 9th July.
Take on our cycling challenge in the beautiful Essex countryside, choose between 30 or 50 mile routes, both with a feed station.
Starting from and ending at the Common in Saffron Walden, the routes take in rolling roads, passing through iconic villages such as Henham, Thaxted, Stebbing and Finchingfield to name but a few.
These are Walden Velo’s favourite local roads and were very popular with 200 of the world’s greatest professional cyclists back in 2014 when the Tour de France passed through. Could you be the next cycling great?
Entry is now CLOSED.
Below is some useful information to help you on the day
Along with your bicycle and crash helmet.
Please bring spare inner tubes, tyre levers, pump/CO2 canister(s), energy bars, water/energy drink, some cash and your mobile phone.
Check the weather forecast for Sunday, it’s British summertime so expect anything! So please plan accordingly.
The Common, Hill Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1JG
Our event will be run from the large marquee on the Common.
There are toilets on the Common behind the marquee, plus nearby in town opposite the wonderful Bicicletta bicycle café on George Street, CB10 1JZ.
Please use the facilities and do not urinate in public spaces.
Directions to the HQ
You will find us by checking the map on the British Cycling website, but put simply the Common is in the centre of Saffron Walden and difficult to miss. The nearest railway stations are ‘Audley End’, ‘Newport’ and ‘Elsenham’ all of which are on the main London to Cambridge/Kings Lynn line.
Parking will be very limited around and near the Common. The main Common pay and display car park will be open but has a small capacity. There is limited time parking along the north edge of the Common on Ashdon Road, alternatively you can use the Swan Meadow Car Park, Saffron Walden CB10 1DA. This is a pay and display carpark and a couple minutes cycle from the Common. If you do park on the nearby local streets please respect the local residents by adhering to the law, leaving suitable space and, considering the early start, keep the noise levels down.
We will be open from 7.00am which should give you plenty of time to park and sort yourself out. Bring your British Cycling confirmation email with your details on it as proof of entry. Don’t leave it to the last minute and don't forget to collect your rider number.
Le Grande Depart
The start for both the 30 and 50 mile rides will be at 8:00am.
We'll start riders in small groups so that you leave the Common safely.
PLEASE NOTE UPDATED ROUTES DUE TO EXCESS CHIPPING
|Ride||Ride with GPS link||Garmin Connect link||GPX file|
|30 mile route|
|50 mile route|
Max elevation: 397 ft
Min elevation: 161 ft
Total climbing: 1670 ft
Total descent: -1663 ft
Max elevation: 407 ft
Min elevation: 161 ft
Total climbing: 2657 ft
Total descent: -2651 ft
There is a feed station ‘en-route’ servicing both rides near Spains Hall (just past Finchingfield), approximately half way on the 30 mile ride and 33 miles in on the 50.
It will be well stocked with bananas, chewy bars, energy gels, energy sachets for water as well as plain water. There are plenty of Public toilets in villages and towns on or close to the routes, do not urinate at the feed stations.
Also, please make use of the bin, and do not litter the countryside.
When you return to the finish you will need to get off the road and onto the Common to avoid creating any hazard on the road.
Once back you’ll be able to get food from the stalls and enjoy the other events/activities taking place on the Common.
Or simply stretch out, unwind and hopefully take in the sun!
There may be other events on at the same time as our ride which cross or share our routes. Our route signage is always a black arrow on a yellow background, with Walden Velo on.
And all riders have white number boards.
Also, please be on the lookout for gravel on the road. The recent summer downpours have washed out excessive amounts over the past few weeks.
Plus the local council have recently resurfaced several roads on the routes with loose chippings.
If you have a serious incident then please ensure that you contact the relevant emergency services, if required.
Also, please note that if you have to abandon then you must let me know.
Daniel Guise – 07952 523820
We would also like to take the time to thank you for supporting us to help raise funds for the Saffron Walden Round Table Carnival Event and we hope that you’ll enjoy your day with us!
Carnival Sportive Walden Velo 9th July 2017
The Terms and Conditions detailed below apply to all entrants participating and both the completion of the entry form or purchase of an entry by every participant acknowledges acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by the participant.
- The participant accepts that the event is not a race in any format.
- The participant is fully responsible for his/her actions whilst attending the event. This includes the event centre and during the ride itself. The Event Organisers do not accept responsibility for the actions of the participant nor the consequences of such actions.
- Each participant, upon signing the registration form, agrees that he or she is physically and mentally capable of riding the distance chosen.
- Each participant accepts full responsibility for any fees or costs incurred or arising from the need for third party repatriation. Repatriation is not provided on this event.
- All participants confirm that their bikes and all their equipment are of a suitable standard and state of road worthiness. Time Trial bikes are not accepted on this event.
- During the event there will be warning signs at appropriate points on the roads. Absence of these signs does not signal there are no dangers approaching and it is the individual rider’s responsibility to make a decision regarding whether to ride a section or not. The marking of the route does not necessarily indicate that the road is rideable and the participants are deemed to make their own decisions about whether to proceed on bike, foot or not at all.
- All participants must obey all Highway Code rules. You are requested to ride in single file where appropriate and no more than 2 abreast at any time. Please be aware of your fellow cyclists and any other traffic. Please always indicate your intention to stop or change direction. All cyclists must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, local By-laws and laws of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland where applicable and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road and off-road users.
- Event entry fees cannot be refunded under any circumstances
- We reserve the right to cancel any event, due to extreme weather conditions
- British Cycling event insurance requires that riders wear a hard-shell helmet conforming to CE standards EN1078